Language proficiency is a key aspect of Early Childhood development. These thought provoking posters engage students in thinking critically about their current topic of study, the Restaurant Theme. Share the News posters encourage children to practice and develop language skills while also supporting the development of social skills as they interact with a partner during a turn and talk segment of Morning Meeting.
1. Sing the “Share the News Song” as students move around and locate their partner for today’s turn and talk (Partners can be random or teacher selected).
2. Choose one of the Restaurant themed posters and display it during Morning Meeting. (Ex. Post color copies on White Board, or print grayscale copies for each student pair). There are two slides to choose from per question. One with labels to support literacy and language development for older students, or without labels for younger language learners.
3. The teacher reads the question of the day. The teacher and students use the visuals to brainstorm as well as add additional responses to the question.
4. Students turn and talk and share their responses to the question of the day.
5. After a few seconds, the teacher closes the Share the News segment by recapping a few responses she/he heard or by having a few students share out about what their partner responded.