Shark Bundle! Language and Articulation Game Companion Mats
LOW PREP Activity for commonly targeted phonemes!
I have this product available in a separate products click below:
These articulation and language mats were designed to accompany the popular game Shaky Shark. It is a commonly known fact that speech therapists use popular board games to make therapy fun for their students. I looked at all of my games and decided that I needed a way to make playing them more directly therapeutic! This is how all of my game companions were born! I hope you enjoy this latest edition! (Please note: the game is not included, must be purchased separately).
What’s Included in the articulation pack:
• Articulation Mats for the following phonemes in initial, medial, final, and mixed positions: k, g, f, l, s, sh, ch, j, th
• Mats for pre-vocalic r, er, ar, or, air, ear, ire, , & mixed vocalic r
• Mats for rblends, lblends, mixed sblends, sl, sk, st, sp, sn, & sm
• A blank mat (write in your own targets)
• Optional score cards
(please understand that this products contains the commonly targeted phonemes listed above. I will consider adding more mats based on needs/requests. Send mat requests to firstname.lastname@example.org).
What's Included in the language pack:
• Categories: There are three types of category mats included: Name items in a Category, Name the Category, & Which One Doesn’t Belong (I have my students tell how the other two items are alike)
• Compare/Contrast: The student is prompted to tell how two items are the same (alike) and how they are different. There are pictures as visual aids on the mats.
• WH-Questions: There are separate mats for what, where, when, who, why, and how questions. There is also a mat for mixed wh-questions. The student is prompted to answer basic, functional wh-questions.
• Vocabulary: These mats give a definition or description and the student has to name the vocabulary word. Please note, I used functional vocabulary words.
• Associations: The student has to fill in the missing word to an association close phrase “a shoe goes with a _____” I take any logical association (answers may vary among students).
• Antonyms: The student is asked to name the antonym of the given word/picture.
• Synonyms: The student is asked to name the synonym of the given word/picture.
• Regular Plurals: The student is shown the singular picture and then a plural picture and prompted to fill in the close phrase with the regular plural. (Here is one ___, here are three___).
• Fix the Sentence- Sentence Absurdities: Read the sentence to the student (or have them read it out loud). Prompt the student to change the sentence so it makes sense.
• Multiple Meaning Words: The student is prompted to name two meanings of the given word.
• Blank mat to write you own targets on!
Assembly: Print and go! You can laminate the boards or place them in page protectors for durability.
How to play: Set up the game per directions in the box. The shark’s mouth will be loaded with the anchor, wheel, boot, treasure chest, and fish bone pieces. You will turn the fin of the shark to activate the game.
• The students will try to hook the objects out of the shark’s mouth with their fishing hook before time runs out.
• After the shark’s mouth snaps shut, the round is finished. Have the students place the pieces they hooked on their Shark-ulation mats over the matching pieces.
• The students will then practice the target word on the mat a pre-determined amount of times (therapist discretion).
• Keep going until all of the pieces are out of the shark’s mouth (do not put the objects back in between turns).
• At the end of the game I have the students drill each word on the mat one more time.
• Optional: Use the score card to keep track of points, each object is worth a set amount of points (I laminate mine and use with dry-erase marker).
Variations: If you don’t have the game you could use as drill mats: Have the student roll a die and practice the words that number of times. Tell the students they are trying to fill up their whole mat before the session is over. Cover up the circles with play-dough, bingo chips, or checkers!
Check out My Blocks Products (companions for the game JengaTM)
(coming soon: Apraxia Blocks and Math Blocks)
My other game companions
What's In There? A game companion for Ned's Head
Climb it & Slide, Articulation companion for Chutes and Ladders
4 to Score, Articulation Companion for Connect Four
Check out Speech-Zee (a companion for YahtzeeTM)
Looking for more engaging articulation products?
Artic Swat Bundle! Squish or Swat flies while practicing phonemes!
Articulation Homework Bundle
Dab A Sound Football Edition!