Students love this highly engaging PBL modeled after the ABC Shark Tank television show! They research to learn about one of the inventions made during Ancient Egypt and then present their invention to a panel of "sharks" who choose whether or not they will invest in the company. Students create a presentation, visual, and 3-D model that they use to convince the sharks that their new invention will be successful in Ancient Egypt. Students absolutely love this activity!
I get a panel of parents to serve as the sharks for the day, and they scrutinize each invention and ask the students questions about their products. Sharks could also be other adults in the building or older students. The authentic audience makes this even more exciting and meaningful for the students.
Not only are students learning about history, but they are also practicing their persuasive skills and their ability to present. They have to be able to think on their feet to respond to the questions from the sharks.
Included in this product:
- Detailed teacher guide
- Shark Tank episode analysis for students to become familiar with the show
- Directions for the project with the list of inventions
- Question sheet students complete as they research their invention
- Letter that can be sent to parents asking for sharks
- Rubric that sharks use when evaluating each presentation
Additional products you may be interested in: