This project integrates elements of the popular show "Shark Tank" with persuasive techniques that allow students to create a product, marketing plan and presentation for the class.
I have successfully used these documents that I've developed over the past two years in my classroom of 8th graders. They LOVE this project and is one of the highlights of the year. Common Core Standards are listed on the Shark Tank Rubric (#2 below).
This zip file includes 7 high-quality documents that are ready to use:
1) The Persuasive Project - Shark Tank PowerPoint (22 slides) - This Powerpoint guides you, the teacher, step-by-step through the project with all directions and information included! (Also, there are fun images of the sharks from the movie "Finding Nemo"!)
2) Shark Tank Rubric - A student-friendly rubric of all aspects of the project, including group grades and individual grades. This rubric is general so that teachers can assign any number of points per part.
3) Shark Tank Presentation Rubric - A student-friendly rubric for the presentation component itself.
4) Shark Tank Audience Notes - This handout allows students to follow along with the presentations, identifying various techniques used and noting key features of each product.
5) Shark Peer Evaluation Form -- This form is for when the students act as a "Shark" (each taking that role once). They fill it out, ask questions, and turn it in. The ratings and effectiveness on this form determine which group "wins" the investor's $100,000.
6) "Shark" Posters -- Print this document once to tape to the desks of the Sharks to designate those seats.
7) Shark Tank Letter to Investor Assignment -- A follow up "Letter to Investor" that argues why their product should be selected instead of the other ones in the class.
If you love this product, please leave a positive review! Thank you!
*Please note: Suggested persuasive techniques are listed within the PowerPoint, but should be taught in advance. (See my product Persuasive Techniques for Persuasive Essays
for 8 of the techniques for writing persuasively!)
Want more great ideas & resources?
Blog: All Kinds of Learning Adventures
Like my Facebook page
Follow on Instagram
Browse my pins on Pinterest
Chat on Twitter
persuasive, persuasion, techniques, shark tank, project, collaboration, activity, assessment, rubric, presentation, unit, lesson, powerpoint, handouts