Activities to do with this Shark Unit
Shark Unit K-3 will make it easy for you to bring the study of sharks into your classroom! There is a research page that is appealing to younger students with easy to fill in spaces! A fact sheet where students can collect facts, and then transfer information over to a written research paper! This is an easy way to teach very young students how to do a research paper in a fun way!
1. Make copies of the beginning shark fact sheets for each student and read
together to learn the basic facts about sharks, or
2. Make a copy for yourself to read aloud as you would a book and discuss.
3. Leave shark fact sheets in a station for independent reading.
4. Use vocabulary cards to teach words students may come across in
their shark research.
Leave shark vocabulary cards in a station and have students copy definitions
on vocabulary sheet. I will plan to use page one only for my general
education students since I teach 1st grade. If you teach 2nd or 3rd, you
may decide to use all the vocabulary at your discretion.
6. Use Shark cards as trading cards.
7. Print 2 sets of shark cards to play a game of shark matching. (Concentration).
8. Students pick a shark to research. (They can do this at home as
a project or in class with you providing books and internet to do the
research.) **I picked up about 50 books from my local library. We will do this
in class. I included a parent letter if you decided to send home as a
9. Write a fictional story about a pet shark.
10. Make a shark craft to display with your pet shark writing.
11. Use shark words for a word work center.
12. Word search with shark words.
13. Find as many words as you can using any shark name. Example included
14. Math: In a long hallway or gym, measure length of sharks and mark
with masking tape or go outside and mark with chalk!
15. Shark Addition Bump. (Math station)
16. Count to 100
17. Count to 200
18. Count up starting from given number (2 pages)
19. Greater Than, Less Than, Equal to (2 pages)
20. Measure Inches (2 pages)
21. Draw Inches (2 pages)
22. Draw Centimeters (2 pages)
23. What comes before and after a number (2 pages)
24. Single Digit Addition, no regrouping
25. Double Digit Addition with sharks
26. Single Digit Subtraction, no borrowing
27. Double Digit Subtraction, no borrowing
Keywords: Sharks, Shark Unit, Shark Theme, Shark Research, Shark Centers, Shark Math
If you are interested in a similar product, check out my dinosaur unit!
If you purchase, earn credits by leaving fair comments!
Earn TpT Credits for purchases on TpT. You get one TpT Credit for every $ you spend on TpT. Thing is, you only get the Credits after you Provide Feedback -- both a fair rating and a fair comment -- on the items that you purchase. We will round up for you, too! If you provide fair feedback on a $4.75 item, you will earn 5 credits. Every 100 Credits is worth $5 that you can apply towards future TpT purchases, but there is no need to wait until you have 100 to redeem them. 50 credits is worth $2.50, for example.
The program is retroactive to feedback provided on purchases since August 1, 2011.
How to Redeem TpT Credits
You can keep track of how many credits you have accrued here or on the top of the site after login. When you check out, you will be given the option of applying your TpT Credits to your purchase, thereby discounting your purchase price accordingly.