Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
10.84 MB | 70 pages
Shiloh is one of my favorite books to teach, and this unit represents 4 years worth of classroom use and improvements in fourth and fifth grade.
This SUPER-unit includes:
- Anticipation guide
- Chapter questions WITH answer key
- Vocabulary lists
- Vocabulary quizzes WITH answer key
- Writing Prompts WITH rubric
- Supplementals (inferencing, dictionary work, editable letter to parents about the movie)
All items are in an easy-to-read font with fun beagle clip art (images courtesy of PrettyGrafik: etsy.com/shop/Prettygrafikdesign ).
This unit was set up to be read 2 chapters / week, so questions and vocabulary are paired - for example, chapters 2-3 are paired, and 4-5. However, chapters 1, 14 & 15 have their own questions in order to allow for your own pre-reading activities (investigations about beagles, West Virginia), and post-reading activities.
The questions are intended to be open book questions - in accordance with Common Core, students are encouraged to closely read, and to refer back to the text for evidence.
Skills covered in this unit:
- Character traits, feelings
- Characters changing over time
- Cause and effect
- Figurative language
- Vocabulary from context
- Personal connections
Like this product? Check out some of my fun dog-themed units:
1. Dog Breed Research: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Dog-Breed-Research-Project-690773
2. Dogs in the Dead of Night: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Dogs-in-the-Dead-of-Night-questions-713843
* I HIGHLY recommend the book on tape/CD for Shiloh. It really makes the story "come alive" for students.