This unit contains a variety of activities to help your students grasp the short e sound. It is ideal for beginning readers working on short vowel sounds! All activities are ready to go and require no additional prep work other than printing and copying! These are ideal for center work, small group work, or review.
*These activities are similar to those included in my long vowels word work units, but are intended for an earlier stage of reading.
Here is what is included:
• I Can Spell Short E Words: Students look at the picture of the short e word, encode it, and write it 2 times.
• Short E Word Family Houses: 3 pages of word family houses, 2 on each page: ed, en, et, est, and 2 blank for you to customize.
• Mix it, Fix it, Write It: Students unscramble the words to make a short e word and write the word correctly in pencil then in rainbow colors. I recommend providing students with letter magnets for this activity so they can manipulate the letters. 2 pages are included, one CVC/CVCC and one CCVC/CCVCC (blends).
• Draw It: Students read the sentences containing short e words. They draw a picture that describes the sentence.
• I Can Rhyme Short E Words: Students rhyme the short e words. They can generate the rhyming words mentally or use letter magnets to assist in making words.
• Highlight a Short E Word: Read words, highlight short e words, and record them on the lines below.
• My Short E Words Book: Students trace, write, and draw a picture of each short e word. They then write a sentence with the word. These pages are meant to be stapled together to form a little book, or you could use them separately.
• Short E Story (Decodable text) 2 Activities: Read, highlight short e words, and record short e words in box. Short E Story: Read and answer questions about the story.
• Short E Word Family Sort: Cut, read, and sort words with –et, -ed, and –en.
• Short E Picture Sort: Cut and sort pictures with –et, -ed, -ed, -est.
I hope your students enjoy these activities!! Please be sure to provide feedback! Thank you!
*This unit is included in my discounted Short Vowels Bundle with short a, e, i, o, and u at http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Short-Vowels-Bundle-PhonicsWord-Work-725334
**If you like my short vowel activites, please be sure to check out my Long Vowels Bundle at http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Long-Vowels-Bundle-PhonicsWord-Work-573125