The Greatest Invention Ever!
Do your students like to argue? Do they enjoy some friendly competition? Do they get excited when you incorporate technology into their assignments? If so, then this short research project could be just right for your classroom. This project requires some simple research, some argument and persuasion skills, a cool web 2.0 tool, and peer voting and elimination. It can be done in as little as two weeks but could fill up to a month depending on the depth you want to go with some of the elements. It is great right before spring break (usually during March Madness bracket elimination) and keeps students engaged until vacation.
This zipped file includes:
• A short PowerPoint review of credible sources for research
• The files needed to choose, research, and compete with an invention:
o List of popular inventions
o KWL for chosen invention
o Invention questions to research
o Argument writing draft
o Grading rubric
• Information about the Voki website, including:
o Basic tutorial with photos
o Links to student-produced examples of avatars with voice
• A sample bracket to setup a "March Madness" type of competition
• A sample voting ballot to provide to students
• An article about kid inventors and the show 'Shark Tank'