Use these Common Core aligned word work activities to help students practice identifying, writing, and categorizing short o vowel words. This packet focuses on -ob, -ock, -op, and -om sounds for the short o vowel.
This packet is part of a larger bundle of word work for short vowels, which can be found here: Short Vowel A, E, I, O, and U Word Work Bundle!
The Clumsy Blob is a friendly fellow. Unfortunately, he bumps into everything, leaving a mess wherever he goes! Super Rob will need your help in cleaning up the mess!
This lesson is aligned to the following CCSS for ELA:
- RF.1.2a: Distinguish long from short vowel sounds in spoken single-syllable words.
- RF.2.3a: Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one-syllable words.
8.5" x 11" (letter)
- 1 short o example chart
- 4 small center table top signs (approx. 3.75” x 1.5” folded)
- 4 Word Work Activities:
1. Clumsy Search:
Short o word search puzzle
2. Sorting O’s:
Short and long o sorting worksheet
3. An Eye for an O:
Fill in the missing letters and then sort ob, ock, op, and om worksheet
4. Color it!
Short o color-by-vowel coloring sheet
Short and long o mini word sort
- Answer key for all 5 activities
Ideas for Use:
- Introduce Rob, The Clumsy Blob, and the short o vowel by using the short o example chart (p. 4) and “Introducing...” paragraph (p. 5).
- Use the mini-sort as an anticipatory set or review activity.
- Use the activities as word work during your ELA block.
- Use some or all of the activities during literacy centers.
Other word work in this series:
Short A: Zack and Mr. Snack Attack!
Short E: Tess and The Messy Guest!
Short I: Sid and The Slippy Kid!
Short U: Summer and The Wacky Drummer!
Clip art from: www.mycutegraphics.com and www.openclipart.org