Short Stories Close Reading Bundle (Digital and Print)
- Google Apps™
What educators are saying
Products in this Bundle (14)
showing 1-5 of 14 products
Engage your students in a rigorous and comprehensive short story close reading unit! Complete with print and digital materials to teach seven short stories, this close reading short story unit has everything you need including targeted close reading passages and literary analysis writing prompts.
Help your students learn how to closely read literature and apply literary analysis skills with the resources in this unit. Each story focuses on just a few literary elements and includes targeted passages to help make close reading more approachable.
This short story unit includes close reading units for the following stories:
- The Gift of the Magi Close Reading Assignment
- The Monkey's Paw Close Reading Assignment
- The Necklace Close Reading Assignment
- The Cask of Amontillado Close Reading Assignment
- The Interlopers Close Reading Assignment
- The Most Dangerous Game Close Reading Assignment
- Thank You Ma'am Close Reading Assignment
All of the close reading text passages and literary analysis writing assignments are standards-based and require students to go back to the text and closely read and analyze the passage for certain literary elements.
Each short story unit includes:
- suggested teacher pacing guide
- multiple close reading targets
- carefully-selected close reading passages
- literary analysis writing prompts
- guided paragraph writing organizers
- literary analysis paragraph grading rubric.
Your students will love how these materials help guide them through the literary analysis process. Students will feel empowered and will gain confidence in their reading and analysis skills.
Prep is quick and easy... Just print the student pages or assign the digital files and go!
Using these assignments with an emphasis placed on close reading, students will gain a better understanding of the short stories and they will increase their understanding of a variety of literary devices:
- figurative language
After completing the activities in this short story close reading unit, students will be able to write a one-paragraph literary response that includes quotations and analysis.
TEACHERS LIKE YOU SAID…
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Margaret C. says, "This bundle provided resources for a short stories unit, which helped guide students through close re-reading with a specific purpose. The paragraph writing was a wonderful way for students to continue thinking about the text and work on writing and analytical skills at the same time."
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Paige K. says, "Amazing. Made my life so much easier. I use these both in my English classroom, but also in my reading intervention session and the students are very engaged."
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Karen B. says, "Thank you so much! I was really excited to see some of the stories included in this bundle, as we are only allowed to cover a limited number of specific stories. I didn't have any digital resources for any of these stories, only pre-pandemic paper copies. So, this bundle was a lifesaver! I love the close reading activities, in addition to the other activities, as that is something we practice all year. Thank you"
You may also like…
→ Literary Analysis with Sticky Notes
→ Narrative Writing Teaching Unit
* Make sure you click the "follow" button next to my picture so you don’t miss out on sales and new resources
* Please provide feedback on this resource. Doing so will help you earn TPT credits that you can apply toward future purchases! It’s like FREE TPT cash!
© The Daring English Teacher, Inc.
All rights reserved. License good for single-classroom use only.