Also included in
- Grade 7 Full Year Middle School English Language Arts Lesson Bundle 1 | PDF & Digital: Teachers do not spend your weeknights and weekends planning out your Grade 7 Language Arts program. This all in one full year middle school English Language Arts lesson bundle is a ready-to-go ELA program. ThPrice $269.99Original Price $330.07Save $60.08
Short Story Unit 1 | PDF and Digital Formats: This short story unit contains great short stories for middle school classrooms. Students will enjoy this differentiated and engaging unit that focuses on literary elements and literary devices (plot, character, setting, theme, conflict, similes, metaphors, symbols and foreshadowing). Use this short story unit to introduce or review literary elements and literary devices with your students.
- This unit is Google Classroom™️ compatible with individual PDFs and Google Slides™️ graphic organizers are included.
- Short Story Unit 1 and 2 contain the same lessons but have different short stories, answer keys and final tests.
✎Short Story Unit Outline
- Activating Prior Knowledge Graffiti Activity
- Elements of a Short Story Lesson (Slideshow and Graphic Organizer)
- Whole-Class Short Story Analysis Modelling & Practice using The Hockey Sweater by Roch Carrier
- Short Story Vocabulary Quiz
- Short Story Analysis Whole Class or Group Options
- Final Task: Short Story Choice Board
- Short Story Drama Task (optional)
- Short Story Application Test on Zoo by Edward D. Hoch
- Detailed Lesson Plans
- Anchor Charts
- Student choice
- Comprehension Questions
- Quiz and Test
- Scaffolded and Regular Graphic Organizers
- Standards and Points-Based Assessments
⭐7 Short Stories Covered
- The Hockey Sweater by Roch Carrier
- Amigo Brothers by Piri Thomas
- The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant
- Lose Now, Pay Later by Carol Farley
- The Fun They Had by Isaac Asimov
- All Summer in a Day by Ray Bradbury
- Zoo by Edward D. Hoch
- "Can't wait to use this first quarter!"
- "Very clear and detailed lesson that matches well with the intermediate curriculum."
- "I am really looking forward to using this unit this year. I love the variety of stories and activities included. I also like that you have allowed for both group or individual work and have included both point and rubric-based grading options. This is very thorough and looks fun and engaging. Thank you!"
- "This resource (like all by this seller) is practical and ready to use. I'm always looking for a new way to work with short stories, and this fits the bill."
- "My students loved this unit - the stories are very engaging, great selections. Many of the stories are very applicable to today's society. I noticed their writing definitely improved after going through this unit."
Due to copyright, individual PDFs of each short story are not included. These short stories are available online and in many textbooks
Other Short Story Resources