Short Story Unit 1 | PDF and Digital Formats: This short story unit contains great short stories for middle school classrooms. Students will enjoy this differentiated and engaging unit. This unit focuses on literary elements of plot, character, setting, theme, and conflict as well as these literary devices: similes, metaphors, symbols and foreshadowing. Use this unit to introduce or review literary elements and literary devices with your students.
- This unit is Google Classroom™️ compatible with individual PDFs and Google Slides™️ graphic organizers included. Short Story Unit 1 and 2 contain the same lessons but have different short stories, answer keys and final tests.
✎Short Story Unit Outline
- Activating Prior Knowledge Graffiti Activity
- Elements of a Short Story Lesson (Slideshow and Graphic Organizer)
- Whole-Class Short Story Analysis Modelling & Practice using The Hockey Sweater by Roch Carrier
- Short Story Vocabulary Quiz
- Short Story Analysis Whole Class or Group Options
- Final Task: Short Story Choice Board
- Short Story Drama Task (optional)
- Short Story Application Test on Zoo by Edward D. Hoch
⭐7 Short Stories Covered
- The Hockey Sweater by Roch Carrier
- Amigo Brothers by Piri Thomas
- The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant
- Lose Now, Pay Later by Carol Farley
- The Fun They Had by Isaac Asimov
- All Summer in a Day by Ray Bradbury
- Zoo by Edward D. Hoch
- "Can't wait to use this first quarter!"
- "Very clear and detailed lesson that matches well with the intermediate curriculum."
- "I am really looking forward to using this unit this year. I love the variety of stories and activities included. I also like that you have allowed for both group or individual work and have included both point and rubric-based grading options. This is very thorough and looks fun and engaging. Thank you!"
- "This resource (like all by this seller) is practical and ready to use. I'm always looking for a new way to work with short stories, and this fits the bill."
- "My students loved this unit - the stories are very engaging, great selections. Many of the stories are very applicable to today's society. I noticed their writing definitely improved after going through this unit."
- Individual PDFs of student pages for uploading to Google Classroom or other online learning portals
- Google Slides graphic organizers for 1:1 schools
- Literary elements and devices classroom posters (anchor charts)
- Student choice
- Comprehension questions, quiz and test
- Scaffolded and regular graphic organizers options
- Unit plan and detailed daily lessons
- Lessons divided up with title pages for easy access
- Standards-based assessment options
- Points-based assessment options
Short Story Unit 2:
Looking for another set of short stories check out Short Story Unit 2.
Due to copyright, individual PDFs of each short story are not included. These short stories are available online and in many textbooks