Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Looking for a short story unit that will thrill your tweens and teens? Take those beloved classic short stories and ramp them up with this MASSIVE bundle that includes FOUR WEEKS OF COMPLETE LESSON MATERIALS designed for advanced middle school students and high school freshmen/sophomores.
This short story unit is an excellent way to launch the year, setting the stage for deeper study of novels and plays. I’ve used it successfully with eighth graders and both regular and honors freshmen. It nicely covers the important elements of literature and provides an excellent background in literary devices, analysis, and writing techniques.
This HUGE bundle includes:
• A day-by-day calendar to follow with helpful details and nightly homework assignments (read this file first when you open the bundle) (3-pg. PDF)
• Storytelling Arc lecture to explain exposition, conflict, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution, and denouement with a handout for students to use for note-taking (13 slides; 1-pg. PDF)
• Thank You, Ma’am by Langston Hughes short story – link to full-text story; deep-thinking questions handout with key/discussion starters; introductory paragraph worksheet (4-pg. PDF)
• Lecture to explain and model effective introductory paragraph hooks with student handout (9 slides; 1-pg. PDF)
• The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant short story – full-text story (in public domain) with deep-thinking questions handout; answer key/discussion starters; literary analysis writing lecture with practice, modeling, and assignment (21 slides; 6-pg. PDF)
• The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allan Poe – full-text story (in public domain) with deep-thinking questions handout; answer key/discussion starters; Storytelling Arc handout/assignment with completed key (10-pg. PDF)
• The Rules of the Game by Amy Tan (from The Joy Luck Club) – link to full-text story; deep-thinking questions handout with key/discussion starters; creative writing assignment focusing on tone/mimicry of author’s voice (4-pg. PDF; 1 mp4 video file)
• Write Like a Professional lecture focusing on participles, absolutes, appositives, adjectives shifted out of order, vivid verbs, similes, and metaphors. Includes student-written and professional author examples of all skills with reinforcement worksheet. (28 slides; 4-page PDF)
• The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell short story – full-text story (in public domain) with deep-thinking questions handout; answer key/discussion starters; Simile Hunt worksheet; creative writing assignment (15-pg. PDF; 1 mp3 audio file)
• Lamb to the Slaughter by Roald Dahl short story – link to full-text story; deep-thinking questions handout with key/discussion starters; real-world writing skills/artistic sketch Police Report handout with completed model; link to Alfred Hitchcock video version of the story (6-pg. PDF)
• The Interlopers by Saki short story – full-text story (in public domain) with deep-thinking questions handout; answer key/discussion starters; journalism/newspaper writing assignment (5-pg. PDF)
• The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry short story – full-text story (in public domain) with deep-thinking questions handout; answer key/discussion starters; creative writing assignment (7-pg. PDF; 1 mp3 audio file)
• The Scarlet Ibis by James Hurst short story – link to full-text story; deep-thinking questions handout with key/discussion starters; literary analysis quote harvesting worksheet with detailed answer key; step-by-step literary analysis paragraph assignment worksheet and paragraph grading rubric (7-pg. PDF: 1 mp3 audio file)
• End-of-unit exam, including 21 matching questions, 14 true/false, and 15 literary device indentification questions. Includes answer key. (4-pg. PDF)
This is a total of 76 pages of rich content, plus four visually dynamic Prezis with “zoom” animation to “wow” your class (71 slides). You don’t need special software to run a Prezi; only an Internet connection is needed.
Note: Most items included in the bundle are sold separately in my store, but you’ll save a ton of money by buying them together. No need to purchase these items separately if you grab this budget-priced bundle. The other three items – the calendar, storytelling arc Prezi lecture, and unit exam – are sold only as part of this bundle. If you’d like a closer look at any of the separate items, just click on the links above for more product details and sample images.
Also, this bundle is included in my English 9-10 full-year curriculum. If you already own the full-year download, please do not purchase this item here individually. If you’d like to receive this item plus everything else needed to teach 180 days of English 9 or English 10 at a deeply discounted price, click here to learn more about the full-year curriculum download.
Thanks for stopping by!