Use these Common Core aligned word work activities to help students practice identifying, writing, and categorizing short u vowel words. This packet focuses on -ug, -uff, -un, and -ut sounds for the short u vowel.
This packet is part of a larger bundle of word work for short vowels, which can be found here: Short Vowel A, E, I, O, and U Word Work Bundle!
The Wacky Drummer loves to play music on his drums. Unfortunately, he plays them so loud that it shakes everything around him! Super Summer will need your help in sorting out the mess!
This lesson is aligned to the following CCSS for ELA:
- RF.1.2a: Distinguish long from short vowel sounds in spoken single-syllable words.
- RF.2.3a: Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one-syllable words.
8.5" x 11" (letter)
- 1 short u example chart
- 4 small center table top signs (approx. 3.75” x 1.5” folded)
- 4 Word Work Activities:
1. Wacky Search:
Short u word search puzzle
2. Sorting U’s:
Short and long u sorting worksheet
3. An Eye for a U:
Fill in the missing letters and then sort ug, uff, un, and ut worksheet
4. Color it!
Short u color-by-vowel coloring sheet
Short and long u mini word sort
- Answer key for all 5 activities
Ideas for Use:
- Introduce Summer, The Wacky Drummer, and the short u vowel by using the example chart (p. 4) and “Introducing...” paragraph (p. 5).
- Use the mini-sort as an anticipatory set or review activity.
- Use the activities as word work during your ELA block.
- Use some or all of the activities during literacy centers.
Other word work in this series:
Short A: Zack and Mr. Snack Attack!
Short E: Tess and The Messy Guest!
Short I: Sid and The Slippy Kid!
Short O: Rob and The Clumsy Blob!
Clip art from: www.mycutegraphics.com and www.openclipart.org