This package by Ruth Rumack contains 6 printable activities for each short vowel that allow students to practice reading and spelling short vowel CVC words. It also includes 2 culminating games for all 5 short vowels as well as suggestions for supplementary large group, small group, and at-home games.
At-home games are kinesthetic and promote phonological awareness.
The printable activity sheets include the following:
- Memory Match: Picture and word cards
- Word Frames: Students cut out letter tiles to spell a word from a picture cue
- Match Them Up: Students read CVC words and match to a picture
- Word Ladder: Students change one letter of a word to create a new CVC word
- Word Scambler: Students unscramble letters to spell a CVC word and then illustrate it
- Fill in the Blanks: Students use cloze procedure to complete sentences, using a word bank. All words in the sentences are Dolch words or decodable words with short vowels.
All pictures are photos and are clearly identifiable.
Note: The decodable words used in the Fill-in-the-Blank sentences correspond with this suggested teaching order: A, I, O, E, U.