These "Break the Code Short Vowel Mystery Words" are designed to help students build confidence reading and writing words with short a, short e, short i, short o and short u.
This set focuses on simple consonant vowel consonant words and two letter words with a short vowel and a consonant. This pack includes the following:
An alphabet linking chart for use as students become familiar with a sound for each letter.
12 Break the Code Mystery Words for each short vowel including:
• Short a: am, bat, at, can, had, mad, ran, tap, sat, sad, rat, map
• Short e: hen, ten, net, men, get, pet, leg, let, fed, red, bed, wet
• Short i: big, fit, it, sit, hid, him, in, sip, hip, tip, if, hit
• Short o:hop, top, on, mop, dog, mom, log, pop, rod, dot, fog, got
• Short u: cup, tub, up, but, bus, bug, us, gum, nut, sub, hug, run
There are 2 complete sets of cards. The first set of cards does not include letters. Students can fill these in with magnetic letters. These pages are also handy to put in a plastic sleeve so kids can write the letters with dry erase markers.
The second set of cards includes the letters. These can be used for partner reading activities or as an anwser key. (These cards match the first set.)
Thanks so much for stopping by and taking a look. I am really enjoying creating these mystery word cards. Please feel free to let me know if you would like a set of cards for a specific group of words.
Sincerely, Anne Gardner (NBCT, Literacy)