Within this unit students will identify the short vowel sounds in isolation as well as in the context of spoken and written words. Students will explore blending sounds into whole words. Students will apply this knowledge of the short vowel sounds while writing and reading new words.
• 15 SMART Board pages on identifying individual short vowel sounds.
• 20 SMART Board pages on distinguishing between the different short vowel sounds.
• 5 SMART Board pages matching short vowel words with pictures (mixed practice.)
• 21 SMART Board pages on mixed practice reading short vowel words.
• 14 SMART Board pages on mixed practice writing short vowel words.
• 14 Title pages with quick links to skill practice and vocabulary.
This unit supports a variety of different learning styles that naturally lend to differentiation. It may be used over the course of one week or several weeks as review of the concepts. A variety of activities will be available for student practice that may be chosen based on specific student need.
The activities are grouped by identifying the short vowel sounds, distinguishing between the short vowels, reading words, and writing words. You will also find links to online activities. Within each group are pages to develop each skill in a variety of methods.
• Smart board pages isolating the short vowel sounds individually,
• Smart board pages to compare and differentiate between the short vowels,
• Smart board pages to match CVC words to pictures,
• Smart board pages reading CVC words as well as other short vowel patterns such as CCVC, and
• Smart board pages developing spelling skills using short vowel words.
It is Common Core aligned: You will develop your students’ reading skills by supporting their:
• Phonemic Awareness,
• Phonological Awareness whereby your students may demonstrate an understanding of phonemes and segment words into their individual phonemes, and
• Decoding Skills.
89 pages of SMART Notebook activities in all!
Please note: This file is made to use SMART Notebook software. You should have this software to use the file. It is not compatible with other interactive whiteboard software such as ActivBoard (Active Inspire) or Promethean boards.