This file contains 80 pages of worksheets practicing rhyming, blending, segmenting, reading and spelling with short vowels. This packet concentrates on using short vowels in CVC words, but also has some pages practicing longer words and the "ss", "ll" and "ck" endings that follow short vowels.
For each short vowel there are 6 different types of practices:
1. Filling in one letter (vowel or 1st/3rd letter) to make CVC words
to practice phonemes. Students also draw a picture to practice reading the word.
2. Adding the missing CVC word to a sentence.
Sentences are simple, containing only common high frequency words and other CVC words.
3. Match the word to the picture
- some CVC words and some longer words.
4. Spell the word to match the picture putting one letter in each box
- one page of CVC words and another page of longer 4-7 letter, short vowel words.
5. Change the vowel of a CVC word to make a new word.
Draw the picture of the new word.
6. Unscramble the sentence
The words used to form the sentences are all CVC and common high frequency words.
1. Change any letter of a CVC word to make a new word.
Then make one change to the new word to make yet another word.
2. Write in the right vowel so that the word matches to accompanying picture.
3. Fill in the right ll/ss/ck word in a simple paragraph
. The paragraph is made up of simple sentences, containing mostly high frequency and short vowel decodable words.
This resource addresses the following Common Core Standards:
Kindergarten: RF.K.2a, RF.K.2c, RF.K.2d, RF.K.2e, RF.K.3c, RF.K.3d, L.K.2c, L.K.2d
Grade 1:RF.1.2c, RF.1.2d, RF.1.3b, L.1.2e
Other Short vowel products you may be interested in
Phonics Spinner Games Short Vowels
a FREE download
Short Vowel Word Wall
contains 500 illustrated short vowel words.
Short Vowel Word Families Mega Bundle: Phonics and Writing Fundamentals
ATTN: This bundle includes all the Short Vowels Word Work plus much more. If you purchase this bundle DO NOT purchase the Short Vowels Word Work
as you will already have it.