This ready-to-use reproducible packet combines instruction (leads, dialogue, theme, etc.), student planning, and straightforward tips. *20 PAGES!*
Students will be guided through the art of short story writing while learning to avoid common pitfalls: weak openings, clichés, uneventful climaxes, and pointless dialogue.
This packet can be used for writing any type of short story, including autobiographical narrative and historical fiction. Just provide the prompt and due date, and this unit delivers the rest!
Written by a current middle school English teacher with a Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing.
Unit contents and suggested packet order:
• Cover page (with additional alterable Word.docx)
• Planning a Short Story overview
• Plot Ideas planner (plot chart)
• Character Planning
• Point of View
• Showing versus Telling (read first, then come back and use for revision after first draft)
• Verb Tense
• RADD Leads
• Self- and peer-editing checklists
• Scoring Rubric (with additional alterable Word.docx)
Use all included pages or just the ones you need!