This product includes a comprehensive set of fun & engaging activities designed to teach your students to recognize, read and spell the first 25 Fry sight words. The packet includes:
• Two sets of 25 word wall words ready to laminate, cut out & display- both sets feature simple font appropriate for emergent and beginning readers, but one is “plain” on a white background and the second set has bright, bold colored chevron frames
• A 5 word handwriting template for creating a sight word list
• A master list that displays the 5 sets of 5 words for easy reference
• 3-4 activity sheets for practicing the sight words in isolation AND in context
• 2 cumulative review activity sheets (beginning after unit 2) for each unit of 5 words to provide your students with continuous use of the words
Activities in this product include traditional practice, such as “highlight the correct spelling”, use a color code to cover the words written in bubble letters, and write the words using proper handwriting on primary handwriting lines. It also includes what I believe to be a unique feature- opportunities to read and write the sight vocabulary in context (some phrases & some sentences) while practicing a variety of beginning reading strategies simultaneously. Students use picture and context clues, repeated language patterns, and basic phonics (such as beginning consonant sounds and CVC words, along with the new sight words to complete a variety of activities. Please check the preview to see examples of these activities. Depending on the reading level of your students, the activities are meant to be completed with teacher support during guided reading or whole group instruction or as independent word work during your literacy block.
Suggestions for instructional planning are given, & enough material is included to use this product as the basis for your sight word instruction. I have had exciting success helping students to build a solid foundation of sight vocabulary using these materials, and plan to add products for more of the Fry sight vocabulary list if I receive a positive response from my customers. Unit 1 (out of 5 units) is available for FREE in my store if you would like to try these materials in your classroom. Thank you and enjoy!!
Sight Vocabulary - First 25 Sight Words- Word Wall Activities
by Amy Bratsos
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License