Such a fun way to practice sight words and use problem solving strategies! My students are crazy about Sight Words and this game has been a new and exciting way to practice Sight Words! Perfect for a learning station or center - Fun for a game day too!
- Large Separated Mats (with kid-friendly calling pictures)
- Dual Mini-Mats (with kid-friendly calling pictures)
- 8 Sight Word Checklists (40 sight words)
-1 “Make Your Own” Checklist
HOW TO PLAY:
- (Teacher) Select/Make a Sight Word Checklist and make copies for each student.
- (Teacher) Print Battleship boards and slip them into Wipe N Write pockets or laminate them for easy cleanup each time you play.
- Set up your “Battle Zone” (Players should not be able to see each other’s boards) * Use an easel, file folders, or privacy offices to separate your spaces & arrange your boards.
- (Student) Write your 5 sight words (from the checklist) on the “My Words” portion of the battle board. Only arranging the words Up and Down/ Left to Right. No diagonals.
- Hang your “My Words” mat up on the easel/ separator. Once both players have hid their words and hung their mats, you’re ready to play!
- Take turns guessing where your opponents sight words are hiding by calling out the pictures on the board. If you guess correctly, they will say “HIT” and tell you the letter you found (record the letter on the “My Guesses” battle board). If you guess an empty spot, they will say “MISS” (mark and X on the “My Guesses” battle board). Once you have found all letters of a sight word, the will say “YOU SUNK MY SIGHT WORD!”
- When you sink a word, check it off your checklist. First player to SINK all of the hiding sight words WINS!