Sight Word Fun!
Looking for a new way to practice reading sight words? Your class will love this fun sight word egg and pancake flipping game!
Contains the words from the 3rd and 4th Dolch lists:
Do, can, could, when, did, what, so, see, not, get, were, them, like, one, this, my, would, me, will, yes, big, went, are, come, if, now, long, no, came, ask, very, an, over, its, your, ride, into, just, blue, red.
This game is a great small group activity
. Print the spatulas and frying pan (or for even more fun provide real ones) and the front and back of the eggs and pancakes and cut, glue and laminate them. Spread the eggs and/or pancakes out, face up, on the table. The teacher calls out a sight word and the first child to flip the correct word takes it and adds it to his/her pile. Continue until all the eggs and/or pancakes have been flipped. Be sure to call out a few other words or nonsense words too. When these words are called out the children must flip the eggs or pancakes with no words on them. Once they have mastered the game, play again with the eggs and pancakes lying face down.
- Use as an independent center
with a confident reader taking the teacher’s role or each child taking turns to flip the eggs and pancakes. If they can read the word they can add it to their pile.
- Print out both sets (or 2 of one kind) and use them as a matching pairs game
- You can also stick them on the wall in your role play/house center as a cute word wall
- Add an extra challenge and have your children aim to flip them into the frying pan! Give each child a checklist
and have them race to flip the words into their own pan.
- Use the checklists to play egg and pancake bingo
, flipping them one at a time.
- Ask each child to write
the words they have flipped and read on the record sheet.
*If your students are struggling to flip the eggs and pancakes - attach a piece of Velcro to the bottom of each. This will raise them slightly and make it easier to get the spatula underneath!
Please rate and comment (and get credits for doing so!) and let me know if there is anything I can do to improve it or adapt it to better suit the needs of your students.
Products you might also like:
- Sight Word Fly Swatting Game - Dolch Lists 1 and 2
- Sight Word Watches – Scavenger Hunt Fun! (Dolch List 1)
- CVC Word Jigsaw Piece Literacy Center
- Jigsaw Piece Sentences Literacy Center