Classes focusing on reading fluency. In order to help your child increase his/her fluency and confidence in reading use the sight words and phrases. Please work with your child at home on mastering each word and phrase list found within this book.
• Start with list #1 and practice each word until your child is able to read all 25 words in 25 seconds with 100% ACCURACY!
• When he/she has successfully completed this task, sign your initials next to the appropriate list number and then have your child bring his/her book back to school so he/she is able to pass it off.
• Once the word list is passed off at school, have your child move to the first group of phrases.
• Your child needs to read these phrases within 60 seconds and 100% accuracy.
• When he/she has successfully completed this list sign your initials, next to the appropriate phrase number and then have your child bring his/her book back to school so he/she can pas it off.
• Your child will then move on to the next set of words and phrases and the process repeats.
This 600 word list contains the most used words in reading and writing. The words on this list make up almost half of the words met in any reading task. Successful readers decode words so that they are said “instantly.” This automaticity is essential to comprehension.
The fluency goal for first grade is for students to read 25 words in 25 seconds with 100% accuracy. After your child has mastered the first twenty-five-word list at this rate and accuracy, they then move on to the corresponding Phrase list. The same high-frequency phrases should be read at 100% accuracy in 60 seconds.
The purpose of this goal is to go beyond individual word recognition and increase fluency. Being able to decode individual words is essential to fluency in reading. When words are then used in meaningful context (phrases) fluency is improved as well as comprehension.