Children need repetition and practice to learn sight words. Use the varied puzzles and activities in this bundle to help children read sight words quickly and automatically to improve fluency and comprehension.
Why sight words? Sight words are those words that readers should instantly recognize. They are among a group of high-frequency words that compose 75% of the words that children encounter in their reading and use in their own writing on a daily basis. Many of these sight words do not follow standard phonics rules or spelling patterns. This makes them difficult for early readers to recognize and sound out.
The 20 sight words included in List #1 are a, and, but, for, had, he, his, I, in, it, of, on, said, she, that, the, they, to, was, and you.
This set comes with the following activities and features:
• A Dolch Sight Words list with List #1 words highlighted
• Word Match—Find three of the same word, connect the words with lines that form a triangle, and then “rainbow write.”
• Word Search—Search for words in a grid and then use them in a sentence.
• Code—“crack the code” to identify the mystery word or sentence at the bottom of the page.
• Scrambled Sentences—Unscramble sentences, cut out the cards at the bottom of the page, place the words in the correct order, and then glue the cards to the back of the paper.
• Maze Craze—Read the sight words in the puzzle, and select the words that make sense in a sentence.
• Crossword Puzzle—Use words from a word box to complete sentences and fill in the crossword puzzle.
• Story—Use sight words to complete a fill-in-the-blank story.
• Answer key
These printables were written by classroom teachers Sue Lewis and Suzanne Abrams.
Look for the other bundles in our Sight Word Puzzles and Activities series!
Sight Word Puzzles and Activities List #2 (all, am, as, at, be, down, go, have, her, him, is little, look, out, some, then, there, up, we, with)
Sight Word Puzzles and Activities List #3 (can, could, did, do, get, like, me, my, not, one, see, so, them, this, were, what, when, will, would, yes)
Sight Word Puzzles and Activities List #4 (an, are, ask, big, came, come, if, into, its, just, long, no, now, over, ride, very, went, your)
Sight Word Puzzles and Activities List #5 (about, any, around, don’t, every, from, good, got, how, jump, know, pretty, put, right, take, too, want, where)
Sight Word Puzzles and Activities List #6 (after, away, by, call, going, help, here, let, make, old, ran, saw, sleep, their, think, well)
Sight Word Puzzles and Activities List #7 (again, been, before, cold, eat, fly, may, myself, never, off, or, play, round, stop, today, walk, who)
Sight Word Puzzles and Activities List #8 (always, bring, does, drink, first, give, goes, keep, much, must, new, once, start, tell, try, work, write)
Sight Word Puzzles and Activities Color Words (black, blue, brown, green, orange, pink, purple, red, white, yellow)
Sight Word Puzzles and Activities Number Words (one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten)