This is a great shape matching activity to teach your child/student their shapes. The child/student takes the card with the shape/word on it and matches it to its silhouette. This activity is best used as a file folder activity.
To make file folder activity:
1. Print and laminate pages.
2. Cut out all shape cards cards.
3. Take a laminated legal sized file folder and Velcro the black silhouette cards on the right side of the folder. Also, put soft (loop) Velcro on the black silhouette shape card where the child will match the corresponding shape card to. Be careful not to cover up the shape when doing this.
4. Place strips of soft (loop) Velcro on the left side of the file folder. This is where the shape/word cards will go (after you place hard/hook Velcro on the back of the cards).
5. Set-up the game with the black silhouette cards on the right of the file folder and the colorful shape/word cards on the left of the file folder. The game moves from left to right.
6. Make sure that each time you present this game to the child that the pieces are moved around. For example, the triangle card shouldn't always be on the top. This helps with generalization. You don't want the child to memorize the order. You want them to understand the concept.
The Picture Communication Symbols ©1981–2015 by Mayer-Johnson LLC a Tobii Dynavox company. All Rights Reserved Worldwide. Used with permission.
Boardmaker® is a trademark of Mayer-Johnson LLC.