In this inquiry activity, students will use clip art to discover the properties of similar figures (corresponding sides proportional and corresponding angles equal). Have students pick out a clip art that represents them. It is preferable to choose clip art that has some straight lines and definite angles to measure. (For example, a baseball would not be easy to gather the necessary data, but a baseball bat or baseball player would be suitable.) Students should then make the clip art 2 distinct sizes on one page and print out their page. Students will then use these print outs to collect the data in the tables below. Through this process, students should discover the properties of similar polygons. This activity is a great accompaniment to my FREE Similarity Project which can be used as an alternative assessment.
Materials: Student access to clip art, method for printing clip art, centimeter rulers, student handout, calculator (optional), protractor
• Lower achieving students may need clip art options provided to them.
• If the classroom does not have many computers, students could work in groups.
• Depending on the measuring skills and the data collected, students may need some guidance interpreting the meaning of their calculated ratio for lengths.
This Product Includes:
• Teacher instructions
• List of materials
• List of modifications
• Student handout and data collection worksheet
• Good examples of clip art to use
• Example of how to collect the data
Keep up with my new products on FACEBOOK!
Keep up with my new products on PINTEREST!