Simile Poem Writing Activity Grades 2-5
This is a poetry activity I use for students to apply their knowledge of similes. Before using this activity, your students should know what a simile is. My students always really enjoy it because it’s hands on. Every time I use it they always create quality poems.
Included you will find:
1. one page of teacher notes
2. graphic organizer for students
3. publishing page for student poems
4. teacher example organizer filled in for teacher modeling and example final poem written from this organizer
5. guided practice example organizer filled in for shared writing and example final poem written from this organizer.
Additional materials you will need:
*1 whole piece of fruit per group of students (groups should be 3-4 students
*1 red apple
*1 paper plate per group of students
*1 plastic knife (for the teacher to use)
*paper towels or napkins/ one per student.
If you like this activity, I also have a metaphor poetry activity you can find here: Metaphor in Poetry (Writing an Expanded Metaphor Poem Activity) Grades 4-6