This is a Kagan structure and can be used in a center or as a cooperative group activity during your lesson. Students will need to follow the following directions to name the type of figurative language and must also explain the meaning of each card.
Steps for the Strategy
1. Question cards are stacked in center of the team table.
2. Teacher selects one student on each team to be the Showdown Captain for the first round. Showdown Captain draws the top card and reads the question.
3. Working solo, all students write their answers.
4. When finished, teammates signal they’re ready.
5. The Showdown captain calls “show down.”
6. Teammates show answers; Showdown Captain leads check.
7. If correct, the team celebrates; if not, teammates reteach then celebrate.
8. The person on left of the Showdown Captain becomes the new Showdown Captain for the next round (repeat from Step 2).