Engage your kids with fairy tale themed figurative language activities. Two PowerPoint presentations, corresponding student sheets, practice, twisted fairy tales (Mad Libs style), and assessment make this seven-day lesson sequence fun and educational.
• Similes PowerPoint presentation & note taking sheet
• Similes poster
• Similes practice page
• A Twisted Tale: Snow White
• Metaphors PowerPoint presentation & note taking sheet
• Metaphors poster
• Metaphors practice page
• The Frog Prince (finding similes and metaphors in text)
• Day 1 – Show similes presentation; students take notes.
• Day 2 – Have students practice with “The Dragon.”
• Day 3 – Put students in groups of four. Give the each a different page of “A Twisted Tale: Snow White.” Ask them to fill in the blanks to complete their own similes. Staple the pages together to make a short book.
• Day 4 – Show the metaphors presentation; students take notes.
• Day 5 – Have students practice with “The Frog.”
• Day 6 – Ask students to identify similes and metaphors with “The Frog Prince.”
• Day 7 – Assess with test.
Click on Preview to see entire resource.
This resource is part of Fourth Grade English Language Arts Curriculum Unit 1 – Fairy Tales. (See bundle below.) Click here
to preview the lesson plans.