Simple Machines – Inclined Planes, Wedges, and Screws – A Third Grade SmartBoard Introduction is a SmartBoard instructional presentation in line with the 3rd Grade SOL’s for the state of Virginia.
Force, Motion, and Energy
3.2 The student will investigate and understand simple machines and their uses.
This lesson focuses on 3 simple machines. It includes: a Smartboard presentation of the text including:
• Terminology (ramp, inclined plane, wedge, screw, and compound machine).
• Explanation of how ramps/inclined planes work.
• Illustration/explanation of wedges.
• Explanation of screws.
• Explanation of compound machines.
Also included is are 2 SmartBoard activities
• The first activity has students matching descriptions of items that are wedges, inclined planes, or screws with the correct picture. The matched pairs are then put under the correct type of simple machine. It is also in a printable form.
• The second activity has students identifying the simple machines that are part of compound machines. The simple machines are listed along with an arrow pointing the spot it is on the compound machine. The activity is also in printable form.