Simple machines are the focus of this comprehensive unit. This 69 page resource contains everything you need to teach a complete unit on the 6 Simple Machines (lever, pulley, wedge, screw, inclined plane, and wheel & axle). Two versions of the product are included - one version which uses customary measurements and a 2nd version which uses metric measurements. Both versions use American English. This product is also part of my Ultimate Science Bundle
which contains 6 separate products for a discounted price!
Included in this Simple Machines unit are:
* 4 pages of lesson plans and ideas, including a supply list for materials necessary to conduct investigations and extension activity suggestions
* 6 full-color posters (one for each of the 6 simple machines) including a photograph of a real world simple machine and a definition of the simple machine
* 14 pages of 5"x4" full-color photo cards (56 cards in all) for sorting, comparing, and classifying simple machines
* 15 pages of reproducible materials for 7 student investigations (at least 1 investigation per simple machine). Materials include: student instruction sheets, student response sheets for each investigation, simple machine comparison chart, vocabulary cards, and a cover sheet for making an investigation journals for each student.
* 7 pages of critical thinking cards. Two versions of each card are included for differentiation purposes. The cards contain critical thinking activities in which students are asked to look at a picture of an object and evaluate which simple machines are used in the object.
* 9 pages of student assessment sheets. These sheets (1 for each simple machine plus a vocabulary page and 2 sheets evaluating students' understanding of using simple machines in combination) ask students to evaluate scenarios in which each simple machine is used and respond to open ended questions about the machine.
* Answer keys for all activities (15 pages total)
by Rebecca Bettis