Simple Machines – Levers, Pulleys, and Wheel & Axles – A Third Grade SmartBoard Introduction is a SmartBoard instructional presentation in line with the 3rd Grade SOL’s for the state of Virginia.
Force, Motion, and Energy
3.2 The student will investigate and understand simple machines and their uses.
This lesson focuses on 3 simple machines. It includes: a Smartboard presentation of the text including:
• Terminology (machine, simple machine, lever, wheel & axle, and pulley).
• How machines help.
• Explanation of levers (load, fulcrum, force).
• Explanation of wheel & axles.
• Explanation of pulleys.
Also included is are 3 SmartBoard activities
• The first activity has a large city construction scene with lots of things going on. Students will either come up and circle examples of simple machines in the picture or list them at their seats.
• The second activity is a lever activity where students label the fulcrum, load, and force on different types of levers. The activity is also modified and in printable form.
• The third activity has students identifying whether the simple machine shown is an example of a pulley or wheel & axle. The activity is also modified and in printable form.