Explore the basics of engineering and discover more about Simple Machines
through hands-on activities and challenges for the inclined plane, lever, pulley, screw, wedge, and wheel & axle. Designed with multiple grade levels in mind, this resource provides a variety of activities, vocabulary, and lessons to fit your class' needs.
Along with the main Simple Machines unit, this bundle includes 2 mini-units: Rube Goldberg Machines as an introduction to machines and "The Elves and the Baker" a project-based learning activity to use as a cumulative assessment.
Lesson 1: Work and Force
Lesson 2: What is a Simple Machine?
Lesson 3: Inclined Plane
Lesson 4: Wedge
Lesson 5: Pulley
Lesson 6: Screw
Lesson 7: Lever
Lesson 8: Wheel and Axle
Lesson 9-10: Review and Assessment
• A complete Teacher Guide with material overview, parent letter, and lesson plans covering big ideas, essential questions, vocabulary, materials, step-by-step plans, and extensions (8 in all)
• Vocabulary Cards
• PowerPoint Presentations/printable books
• Whole class, group, and independent activities to design and build working models
• Student worksheets, informational texts, and interactive pages
• Review game for vocabulary
• Student comprehension assessment
• Student project with self-assessment and teacher rubric assessment
Created for the following:
Next Generation Science Standards: K-2 Engineering
Ontario Curriculum: Gr. 2 Science
Please download this Free Engineering Design Process
flip book. It is a great accompaniment to this bundle.
The Rube Goldberg Machines
mini-unit is an imaginative and solid launching point for machines. It sparks creativity, and sets a mindset for inventing machines and solving problems as an engineer.
For the Teacher:
- Overview of mini-unit plan
- Bulletin Board idea and printables
- Recommended resources
- Answer Key where applicable
- Informative texts on Rube Goldberg, Every Day Tasks, and Machines
- Design a Rube Goldberg machine parts and planning pages
- Creative Writing "My Imaginary Machine" Diagram and Label
*Key Terms - task, machine, simple and compound machines
Rube Goldberg Machines
“The Elves and the Baker” project-based learning unit
provides opportunity for your students to use their knowledge on simple machines to solve a problem (posed in "The Elves and the Baker" story) in a creative, play-based learning environment. This unit guides students through the Engineering Design Process. Students will design and build a simple machine or mechanism to help the elves complete their work at a bakery!
- "The Elves and the Baker" original story in Powerpoint and black and white book for print
- Engineering Design Process poster
- Engineering Design Process worksheets
- Measurement activity and worksheet
PBL: The Elves and the Baker
Looking for more Science units?
Energy Science Unit
Winter Weather: Snow Science
All about Apples Unit
Perfectly Imperfect in Second Grade