Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Are your junior high or high school students still struggling to identify sentence types? Are they still having difficulty distinguishing between fragments, run-ons, and sentences? While students are taught about simple sentences as early as elementary school, many middle and high school students need yearly refreshers on sentence types.
I recommend using this simple sentences grammar mini unit after covering parts of speech, sentence parts, types of phrases, and types of sentence errors, but BEFORE teaching dependent clauses and the other three types of sentences: compound, complex, and compound-complex.
This simple sentence grammar mini unit contains:
1. A simple sentence PPT presentation, which is secured to protect fonts and graphics. You can edit it by adding or deleting slides, but the existing text is not editable.
2. 3 practice assignments which prompt students to think about how to write simple sentences, how to identify the difference between fragments, run-ons and sentences, and how simple sentences can both help them and hinder them as writers.
3. A short quiz that can be used as a pre- and post- assessment to track students' growth and understanding.
4. Answer keys for all activities and the quiz
5. Suggested use for teachers
Reminding middle and high school students about the structure of a simple sentence lays the foundation for our expectations while grading their papers. We expect complete sentences, and they know how to write them.
***This simple sentence mini-unit is also available as part of my larger Types of Sentences Unit Bundle.
Do you need additional grammar teaching resources to use before or after this simple sentence grammar mini unit? Check these out in my store:
Find more grammar teaching resources for middle and high school here.
Let's stay connected for updates, sales, new products, and teaching ideas!
A Couple Tips:
* Be sure to click the "follow" button that is located next to my picture so that you can hear about sales and new products!
* By providing feedback on your purchased products, you can earn points, which ultimately translate into cash toward future purchases...bonus! Plus, I'd love to hear from you.
©Reading & Writing Haven
All rights reserved by author.
Duplication limited to single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.