Great picture books can be the inspiration for a simple writing activity in your grade 1 or 2 classroom.
This file contains a teacher's notes page and 15 writing prompts inspired by 15 picture books (a bundle of 3 individual products - each set is also sold individually).
1. George Shrinks by William Joyce
2. The Little Red Hen (any version)
3. A Color of His Own by Leo Lionni
4. If the Dinosaurs Came Back by Bernard Most
5. There's An Alligator Under My Bed by Mercer Mayer
1. Nuts to You by Lois Ehlert
2. The Itsy Bitsy Spider by Iza Trapani
3. Wemberly Worried by Kevin Henkes
4. It's Mine by Leo Lionni
5. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
1. The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
2. There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly by Simms Taback
3. Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman
4. Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina
5. Best Friends by Steven Kellogg
After repeated readings of a book, the students will be ready to do some simple writing activities drawing on the background they've acquired by listening to and reading the picture book.
Each writing prompt is on a 2 page document with an illustration area at the bottom of the second page. The activity could also be used in a literacy center or for a substitute! Have fun reading and writing!