Simple and Compound Machines – A Fourth Grade SMARTBoard Introduction is a SMARTBoard 4th grade level instructional presentation
It includes: a SMARTBoard presentation of the text along with two interactive slides that are also available in PDF format to print and issue as classwork, homework, or attach/incorporate into an interactive notebook.
The presentation includes:
• Introduction to simple and complex machine terminology (simple machine, level, load, effort force, compound machine, inclined plane).
• Levers explained (first, second, and third class). Fulcrum, load, and effort force described.
• Wheel and axle simple machine introduced.
• Pulleys (fixed, movable, and fixed & movable).
• How inclined planes work.
• Formation of wedges (back to back inclined planes) and screws (inclined plane twisted into a spiral)
• Compound machines
The last 2 slides are white-background slides used for the printables. The printables are already in PDF form in the package. The white-background pages are not included in the total pages. I include them in case you would like to change any of the data and recreate the printables.
The interactive/review slides and printables:
• Activity one has students identifying first, second, and third class levers. They also will be able to determine fulcrum, load, and effort force locations.
• Activity two has students determining what simple machines make up the compound machines shown in the pictures.