- Google Apps™
Use these creative lesson materials to help your teens get excited about studying Puritan minister Jonathan Edwards’ most famous sermon, “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God.” When you connect this 1741 lecture to modern elements, such as heavy metal lyrics from bands such as Metallica and Slayer (school appropriate selections, of course), your kids will be aching to dig into the fire and brimstone of Edwards’ ghastly sermon. Just warn them – Edwards’ imagery isn’t for the faint of heart!
These 29 slides (both Prezi & Google Slides) and handouts (both printable PDF & Google Drive versions) include:
• Quickwrite topic to bridge students into the day’s lesson
• Helpful background on Puritan minister Jonathan Edwards and The Great Awakening
• High-interest game where students decide whether lines of text come from modern heavy metal song lyrics or Puritan minister Jonathan Edwards’ sermon (If you want to skip the “Heavy Metal Lyrics or Jonathan Edwards’ Sermon?” game, just end the lecture before the game slides and move into the text activity.)
• Two-page excerpt of “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God” sermon with attractively designed graphic elements
• A handout of seven critical-thinking questions that require students to dig back into Jonathan Edwards’ words and their own minds to find the answers
• Detailed answer key, designed to make grading easy and help you guide class discussion
Using Jonathan Edwards’ “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God” as support material for a study of Arthur Miller’s The Crucible? Be sure to CLICK HERE to check out my catalog of Crucible lesson materials. z
Want more on Jonathan Edwards? Try this team research activity designed to inspire teens to dig deeply into Edwards' background: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Jonathan-Edwards-Biography-Research-Organizer-Puritan-Minister-Bio-Activity-CCSS-6084446
Thanks for stopping by!
Cover image credit: Pixabay, Public domain