After students receive an appropriate background on King Arthur's court and what Arthurian Legend is, they can read "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight." You can download a unit on Knights of the Middle Ages here: Knights and the Code of Chivalry
In this unit, students will annotate the text as they read by highlighting, underlining, and writing in the margins (if students do not have their own copy, explain how you would like them to annotate each page in their notebooks). Students should be reading with a purpose, and for this text they are going to be writing an argumentative essay for or against the choices and actions of Sir Gawain.
Included in this download is:
1) An instructional sheet on how to annotate the text
2) Teacher Guide on analyzing the poem
3) Graphic Organizer for evaluating symbolism of the animals on the three hunts.
4) Graphic Organizer for summarizing each of the four parts to the poem including a plot structure diagram of key events
5) Graphic Organizer analyzing Sir Gawain's actions including a resource on the code of chivalry
6) Final essay prompt