This Sir Gawain and the Green Knight Bundle includes thought-provoking intro activities and materials for formative and cumulative assessment! Here's what's included:
1. Do You Have What It Takes to Be a Knight?: This just-for-fun quiz requires students to circle statements to see if they would qualify as a medieval knight. It helps students compare our lifestyles to the medieval times. It's a fun way to start learning about the King Arthur/Sir Gawain tales.
2. Vice and Virtue Writing: Students consider their personal values in this brief, but thought-provoking journal or homework assignment.
3. PowerPoint Notes: This 10-slide PowerPoint introduces the story of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. It includes information on the Pearl Poet, characteristics of a medieval romance and its stages, poetic devices in the text, themes, characters, and the code of conduct for knights. It also includes a fill-in-the-blank version of the presentation for students to use in taking notes.
4. Reading Questions: This 25-question reading guide is based on the abridged translation by Brian Stone, but it should be compatible with most abridged textbook versions. (Answer key included.)
5. Sir Gawain’s Report Card: This worksheet is a fun way to review. Students complete a "report card" for Sir Gawain based on how well he met the code of chivalry in the story. This activity is a fun, yet effective way to get students to evaluate Gawain's character using evidence, while still having some elements that they can debate. This worksheet is not specific to any particular version of the poem. (Answer key included.)
6. Sir Gawain’s College Admission Essay: This takes the report card assignment further. This activity requires students to write a short college essay from the point of view of Sir Gawain explaining how he has met or been unable to meet the nonphysical and physical ideals for knights. A rubric is included. This is a great homework assignment and gets students to prepare for writing their own college essays.
7. Quiz: This 20-question quiz is based on the reading questions/answers. (Answer key included.)
I also sell some of these products individually:
Do You Have What It Takes to Be a Knight? Quiz
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight PowerPoint
Sir Gawain’s Report Card
Sir Gawain College Essay Writing Assignment
...but you can save time and money if you buy them here as a bundle!
Here are some other British literature products that can make your life easier!
British Literature Mega Bundle
Macbeth Unit Bundle
World War I Poetry Unit Bundle