A complete math center activity that teaches children about fractions. Students take part in solving School Bakery challenges at each of six stations. Teacher can use the optional muffin mix element to the lesson to have students create real muffin mix that can be baked up over a recess/lunch period and shared with the students hot and fresh!
The six stations in this resource cover a variety of math fraction outcomes, including:
- creating a set of equivalent fractions and explaining why there are many equivalent fractions for any given fraction
- determining if two given fractions are equivalent using concerts materials or pictorial representations
- formulating and verifying a rule for developing a set of equivalent fractions
- comparing two given fractions with unlike denominators by creating equivalent fractions
- writing a given decimal in fraction form
- writing a given fraction with a denominator of 10, 100 or 1000 as a decimal
- expressing improper fractions as mixed numbers
- expressing mixed numbers as improper fractions
- placing a given set of fractions, including mixed numbers, on a number line and explaining strategies used to determine position
This resource comes with the following materials, organized neatly into folders:
A set of comprehensive instructions to get you started
Provides students with tips and tricks to help solve tricky station questions and an answer key for them to check their answers
Contains index card-sized question sheets that will be placed at each of the stations
A thorough teacher's lesson plan and accompanying assessment strategies
Beautiful full colour station signs that introduce the students to the station and the problem at hand. Can be printed in black and white as well.
A black and white 11 x 17 booklet that is for student use. Students record their answers to the station questions in this resource. Comes with a recipe for muffins on the back so that they can recreate their achievements at home for their family.
This resource has been effectively used in the classroom. It is highly engaging, challenging and fun! Students will work tirelessly to solve the challenges at each station and can enjoy the "fruits of their labour" if you decide to have them create muffin mix as part of the station work!