Also included in
- Help your students conquer ANY time signature!Primers with exercises to learn Cut Time and Compound Time2 Primer Sets | 11 PostersThis bundle includes:Score and Parts for 8 Cut Time ExercisesScore and Parts for 12 Six-Eight ExercisesSix-Eight Rhythm Drill Sheet11 colorful posters explaining the hidd$13.00$16.00Save $3.00
- Demystify two notorious time signatures for young musicians2 Primer Sets This bundle includes:Score and Parts for 8 Cut Time ExercisesScore and Parts for 12 Six-Eight ExercisesSix-Eight Rhythm Drill SheetFrom Cut Time - A Primer:Prepare your young band for Veterans Day or festival marches with this$10.00$12.00Save $2.00
Solve the dilemma of teaching Six-Eight to young musicians
12 Exercises | 1 Page Front and Back | 1 Bonus Rhythm Drill Sheet
Six-Eight often leaves young musicians confused because we often skip crucial steps in explaining it. This primer connects a lot of the dots that typically get ignored. Starting with "Slow Six-Eight," the primer walks students conceptually through the things that make Six-Eight tick.
Take a look at the preview to see how these 12 inter-related exercises introduce common rhythm patterns in compound time in simple melodic contexts in the key of B-flat.
In addition to the Primer, we have also included a Rhythm Drill Sheet that will give you a resource for daily Six-Eight practice, including the introduction of more advanced rhythm and rest patterns.
The patterns included in this set are:
- Six eighths
- Quarter-Eighth (Long-Short)
- Eighth-Quarter (Short-Long)
- Dotted Quarters
- Dotted Halves
- Variations including rests and combinations
- Sixteenth Notes (Drill Sheet only)
- Dotted Eighth-Sixteenth-Eighth (Drill Sheet only)
Some of the concepts in this set correlate with our Hidden Logic of Time Signatures Poster Set. Those concepts have led to lots of A-HA! moments in our classrooms over the years, from middle school to high school. Check them out! Your students will literally thank you!
We hope that this set helps you answer student questions about how to play Six-Eight by answering YOUR questions about how to teach it!