Skellig by David Almond
A complete unit of work for David Almond's Skellig (includes PowerPoint, unit of work overview and worksheets).
Skellig includes a huge 190 slide PowerPoint slideshow, 34 pages of worksheets and step by step lessons for teaching the popular novel. The resource uses the four-part lesson structure: starter activity, introduction, development and plenary and all PowerPoint slides are clear and 'student friendly'. Bright and effective use of color, photographs, cartoons and video clips are all used to create an excellent learning experience. The resources also include a student booklet packed with worksheets created to be used alongside the PowerPoint slideshow.
Skellig is a detailed and extensive resource that covers all the key areas required by the National Curriculum and includes a wide range of classroom activities for pupils of all abilities:
* research tasks - William Blake and Angels
* predictions about the text using the cover, author and blurb
* activities to develop knowledge of the plot
* in depth analysis of the characters of Michael, Mina and Skellig
* exploration of the key themes
* developing awareness of the features of a novel – narrative hooks, building tension, setting the scene
* teaching the use of Point/Evidence/Explain
* David Almond's 'message' - the author's purpose
* cloze and sequencing activities to consolidate understanding of the plot
* analysis of David Almond's use of language in key scenes
* hot seating activities
* empathy question preparation - Diary writing
* Links to a range of Skellig games, websites and more lesson ideas
* Exploring David Almond's use of pathetic fallacy
To preview the Skellig teaching resources please click on the PowerPoint images.