Slap words is a fun and engaging game to review various concepts with students. The best part is they don’t even know they are reviewing because they are having so much fun! By purchasing the bundle you are saving 25%! Woo hoo!
The bundle edition includes the following games:
1. Slap Words (Digraph Edition)
• Words are one syllable and include common digraphs (ch, th, wh, sh, qu, ck) and uncommon digraphs (ff, zz, ll, ss, gh, gn, kn, mb, wr). Many consider (gn, kn, mb and wr) silent letters--but they fit the digraph rule of two consonants, but one sound--so I included them.
2. Slap Words (CVCe Edition)
• This Slap Words game reviews CVCe words. All CVCe patterns are used, except long e (a_e, i_e, o_e, and u_e).
3. Slap Words (CVC Edition)
• This Slap Words game reviews CVC words. All short vowels are used, but can easily be separated for targeted practice.
4. Slap Words (Blend Edition)
• This Slap Words game reviews two-sound and three-sound blends in words. All two-sound blend patterns are used (bl, br, cl, cr, dr, fr, ft, gl, gr, ld, lf, lk, lm, lp, lt, mp, nd, nk, nt, pl, pr, sc, sk, sl, sm, sn, sp, st, sw, tr, tw), In addition all three-sound blends are used (scr, shr, spr, squ, str, thr)
5. Slap Words (Vowel Digraph Edition)
• This Slap Words game reviews all vowel digraphs, or some people call these vowel teams or vowel pairs. All of the vowel digraphs reviewed are (ai, ay, oa, oe, ee, ea, oi, oy, oo, ow, ie, ou, aw, au, ey, ight, eight, ue, ew, ui, eu, ei).
6. Slap Words (Word Family Edition)
• This Slap Words game reviews word families. Word families are groups of words that have common patterns or groups of letters with the same sound. The word families included are: ack, ad, ail, ain, ake, ale, all, am, ane, an, ank, ap, ar, ash, at, ate, aw, ay, eat, eel, eep, eet, ell, en, ent, est, ice, ick, ide, ife, igh, ile, ill, in, ine, ing, ink, ip, it, oat, ock, og, oil, oke, oo, ood, oo, oof, oof, ook, oom, ool, oon, oop, oot, oot, ore, orn, ot, ought, ould, ouse, out, ow, ow, own, uck, ug, and ump. The 37 word families represented in this pack are the most common word families in the English language, as determined by Wyle and Durrell’s 1970’s research on rimes.
Included: Directions, 300+ Slap Cards (approximately 10 cards per word family)
Supplies: 2 sets of cards, empty table top
1. Print and cut out the cards. (laminating is optional)
2. Keep a set of cards for the caller (this set is optional to cut—you just need it for assisting the caller with calling out the words)
3. Spread cards out over empty tabletop/desk
4. Caller (teacher or student) calls out a word (make sure to notate which word was called—so you don’t have repeats)
5. Students race to see who can slap the word the fastest.
6. First student to slap the correct word called---keeps the card.
7. The student that has the most cards at the end of the game wins!
**I just have students slap the words (gently) with their hands....but for a fun twist you can use a flyswatter or other "swatting" tool.