Slap words is a fun and engaging game to review various concepts with students. The best part is they don’t even know they are reviewing because they are having so much fun!
This Slap Words game reviews CVC words. All short vowels are used, but can easily be separated for targeted practice.
Included: Directions, 50 Slap Cards (two templates--one with the vowel highlighted, and one without the highlighted vowel)
Supplies: 2 sets of cards, empty table top
1. Print and cut out the cards. (laminating is optional)
2. Keep a set of cards for the caller (this set is optional to cut—you just need it for assisting the caller with calling out the words)
3. Spread cards out over empty tabletop/desk
4. Caller (teacher or student) calls out a word (make sure to notate which word was called—so you don’t have repeats)
5. Students race to see who can slap the word the fastest.
6. First student to slap the correct word called---keeps the card.
7. The student that has the most cards at the end of the game wins!
**I just have students slap the words (gently) with their hands....but for a fun twist you can use a flyswatter or other "swatting" tool.