I developed these materials for a mini-unit on Spirituals and my students *love* it. Decoding messages in familiar songs evokes excited discussion and analysis. They are captivated by the short musical film (links and materials provided). Every year, minds are blown. This is an intriguing, wonderful part of our heritage that is often forgotten. I do hope you can use these materials to keep history alive! Great for Black History Month, or any time! I hope you enjoy this as much as I have!
* PowerPoint with intro/quotes, Word Bank for the cloze notes outline, and "Decoding Spirituals" activity prompt.
* Notes outline (cloze sentences) with key
* Lyric sheets for "Follow the Drinking Gourd" and "Wade in the Water"
* "Decoding Spirituals" worksheet to accompany lyrics
* Links to award-winning short musical film "Underground" by Akil Dupont (Vimeo AND YouTube)
* Film analysis questions accompanying short film "Underground"
* K-W-L Chart (2 versions!)
I truly do hope you can find a way to use and enjoy these materials. I appreciate any feedback and thoughts. I have students that still talk about the short film "Underground" like 5 years later. Please let me know how it goes, and what your students thought!