PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
SIX Complete Slavery Lessons of Nonfiction Informational Text, engaging hands-on activities, and TWELVE INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK ASSIGNMENTS to explore the Slave Trade in America, the Life of a Slave, the Birth of our Nation and its Impact on Slavery, the Underground Railroad, Slave Rebellions, and famous Abolitionists:
Lesson 1: Slavery's Beginnings
Lesson 2: A Slave's Life
Lesson 3: The United States of America
Lesson 4: Slave Rebellions
Lesson 5: The Underground Railroad
Lesson 6: Famous Abolitionists
ACTIVITIES INCLUDED IN THIS INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK UNIT:
• Questions after each of the 6 lessons to assess Informational Text Comprehension
• Thought-Provoking Discussion Questions to encourage Critical Thinking
• Primary and Secondary Source Differentiation and Research Projects
• KWLH Charts with Follow-Up Activities
• Journal Writing Project from a Slave's Point of View
• Underground Railroad Story~Pre-Writing Questions and Outlines Included
• Thomas Jefferson and Sojourner Truth Biographies with Follow-Up Questions
• Vocabulary Quizzes
Students will then use the Slavery Content to complete TWELVE Interactive Notebook Assignments (all patterns and step-by-step instructions included!):
• One-Pocket Vocabulary Organizers
• Vocabulary Foldables
• Vocabulary Booklets
• Vocabulary Cootie Catchers
• Vocabulary Flaps
• Interactive Slavery Journal Booklet featuring 8 Journal Entries
• A Slave's Life Pocket Organizer
• Thomas Jefferson Find the Fib Game with Two-Pocket Organizer
• Slave Rebellions Cause and Effect Organizers
• Slavery KWLH Chart Four-Fold Organizer
During their study of Slavery, students will read biographies of Gabriel Prosser, Denmark Vesey, Nat Turner, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Harriet Tubman, and Frederick Douglass
Slavery, aligned with the 3rd-5th Grade Common Core Standards (see Preview for Standard Alignment), is one of NINE units in our American History Bundle. Purchase this unit separately, or save money by purchasing the entire AMERICAN HISTORY ULTIMATE INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK BUNDLE.
We've included a context-appropriate Glossary, Answer Pages, and Grading Rubrics for the higher-level Interactive Notebook and Writing Assignments.
Download the Slavery Preview to see the complete Table of Contents, Lesson Plans, Common Core Alignment, Sample Lessons, and Activities.
OUR OTHER COMMON CORE ALIGNED AMERICAN HISTORY UNITS:
Splash! Publications. Created by Teachers. It Just Makes Sense.
RATING SLAVERY EARNS YOU TPT CREDITS TO USE TOWARD FUTURE PURCHASES AND GIVES US A WARM FUZZY FEELING!
(c) 2011-Splash! Publications. Permission is granted to original purchasers to reproduce material as designated only for classroom use. No other part of this work may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means including information storage and retrieval systems without written permission from the publisher, except by a reviewer, who may quote brief passages in a review.
The Common Core Standards were developed and written by the NGA. © Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.