Teaching "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" this fall? Spice it up for the students a little bit by having them complete "Character Investigations" in the form of a detective journal. Students will use text evidence to write conclusions about key characters in the story.
Designed for 6th grade common core standards, this activity includes the following pieces:
- a detailed overview of standards and objectives
- a copy of the story specifically rewritten for a middle school reader, complete with vocabulary annotations
- templates for a character investigation journal for 3 key characters: Ichabod Crane, Brom Bones, and Katrina Van Tassel
- sample answers that follow the ACE (answer, cite, explain) strategy for each character
- an extra resource that guide students in using the ACE strategy
Check out the preview for a more in-depth look at these activities!
***Note: This product is part of a larger unit and includes references to other activities for this short story but can also be used in isolation. Please do not repurchase if you have already purchased The Legend of Sleep Hollow ELA and Close Reading Mini Unit