This lesson plan goes with the Sleuth magazine component of the new reading series, Reading Street, by Pearson. The article referenced is not included in this download.
Included in this download are the Sleuth Lesson Plan, Student Note-taking sheet, Writing Graphic Organizer, and Exemplar Written Response Answer for "Metro City News"
Grade 4, Unit 2 Week 2, Coyote School News
NOTE: There are 2 prompt for this article. The original prompt (which requires NO text evidence) and one I added that requires text evidence from this article.
Take it from The Writing Guru; the “Make Your Case” analytical/argumentative writing component of Sleuth in the new reading series by Reading Street is not easy to implement, because it is missing 3 important components: a note-taking graphic organizer, a writing planner to organize thoughts, and the answer key (an exemplar sample)! This download has:
1. Explanation page on "What is Analytical Writing?"
2. 2 page lesson plan on how to teach Sleuth.
3. Blank "Make Your Case" student graphic organizer for students to take notes and learn how to analyze information (the analyzing part) and ANSWERS
4. Blank student writing graphic organizer for students to organizer their written responses (the organizing part) and ANSWERS
5. An exemplar written response answer, color-coded by main ideas
for THIS PARTICULAR ARTICLE and is created by an actual elementary teacher with 20 years of writing training and instruction under her belt. This download will help your Sleuth lessons flow smoothly and give your students the solid background they need to become experts in analytical/argumentative writing at the elementary level, all the while making you look like the professional you are.