This 25-page PowerPoint lesson covers multiple aspects of slope including:
• Defining slope
• Describing slope as positive, negative, zero, and undefined
• Finding the slope given a graph using rise over run
• Drawing lines given two points
• Drawing lines given a point and the slope
• Calculating slope given two points
• Finding the slope of the sides of polygons graphed on the
The lesson starts by having students draw a picture using points and straight lines on the coordinate plane as a warm-up and then using their picture to describe the slope of each line in their picture. Students then move on to calculating the slope of a given line before moving on to drawing lines given one ordered pair and the slope. Using the slope formula, students then calculate slope based on two ordered pairs before drawing polygons on the coordinate plane and calculating slope for each line. Depending on the level of your students, this lesson could be done in one days or spread out to multiple days. Multiple opportunities for guided and independent problems are included throughout the PowerPoint lesson.
Check out my Understanding and Calculating Slope notes which could be used as guided/interactive notes for this lesson. The opening activity student worksheet is included with the PowerPoint on page 25. Simply print this page (as a slide). Two student worksheets will print on one page to help save on paper/printing costs. The page has been rotated so it will print on 8.5 x 11 paper without you having to reformat.
I’d love to have you follow my TPT store! Just click on the green star next to my name at TPT. When you follow me you get:
• Notified whenever I have a sale
• Notified of new and free products