SmCARD Game: Consonant blends / Consonant digraphs
How to Play:
1. Two, three or four players sit so they are facing each other.
2. Select a dealer to shuffle the cards and give five cards to the members of the group, including themselves.
3. Place all the remaining cards in a pile face down in the center. Next ip one card o the top of this pile and place it face up next to the stack.
4. The dealer reads the card by pronouncing the phonics sound of the red letter and then the word e.g. If the card is ‘show’ the dealer says, ‘sh' like in show. If the card is ‘swamp’ the dealer says, ‘sw like in swamp.
5. The children then look at their cards and take their turn moving to the left around the circle.
If they have cards with the same sound as the one turned over by the dealer they can place one
on top of the pile by saying ‘sh'like in 'shape.
6. If they do not have a match in their hand they pick up a card from the face down pile. If the card they pick up is a match they can put it straight down, if not, they place it in their hand and the next player has a turn.
7. If the player does not have a match but has a CHANGE card in their hand they can change the sound being matched i.e. if say they had the cards ‘smash, ‘smoke and ‘swim’ they would place down their CHANGE card and say “I’d like to change it to ‘sm like in smash’”then put down the smash card.All the following players must match for ‘sm’ cards or CHANGE it to a new consonant blend.
8. The person who is the first to have no cards left is the winner.
Note: Student can’t win with a CHANGE card they must pick up.
Option: Have students say a sentence using the card they pick up.
e.g. ‘sw like in ‘swamp’ . There are many alligators living in the swamp.
Word Groups: 45 Word Cards 9 Change Cards
1. This game will take time to make but students seem to really enjoy card games.
2. Take out cards that are too hard for your students level and add them as they get
3. There are a set of blank cards for you to add your own words..
4. I have found if you use thicker paper for the front of the card and thin paper for
the backs they work much better.
5. There is also a set of blank cards for teachers to add their own words.
6. If you find a better way to play it please contact me.